How to directly link to a specific section of your KB article?
By Jitta Rao
updated 5 months ago
Use anchor links to help your visitors navigate to a specific section of your help content without scrolling.
- In your Gist workspace, navigate to knowledge base section.
- Hover over the knowledge base article where you want to add an anchor, then click Edit.
- On the rich text toolbar, click the code view icon. It looks like this: </>
- Scroll down to the section of the article, where you want your link to jump to.
- Add an ID to the element, as shown (example: id="order-delivery-process" ). ID must begin with a letter and may only contain letters, numbers, hyphens, underscores, colons and periods. If you want to use more than one word for your ID, separate each word with dashes (-).
- Next, create the link that sends the visitor to the section of the page where the anchor was inserted.
- Highlight the text you want to hyperlink in the article body.
- In the rich text toolbar, click the link icon.
- If the anchor you're linking to is on the same page as your link, enter the # symbol followed by the ID of the anchor in the URL field. In the example above, #order-delivery-process is entered in the URL field.
- If the anchor you are linking to is on a different page as the link, include the full URL of the page followed by the hashtag symbol # followed by the ID of the anchor. For example, https://docs.yourcompany.com/order-guide#order-delivery-process.
- Click Insert
- If a visitor clicks this anchor link, they'll be redirected to the section of the article where the ID was placed.
For example, you want to create direct links to two parts of a lengthy help article. You'd need to add IDs to both the sections this way:
<p id="part-one">I am part one</p> <p id="part-two">I am part two</p>
Once done, you can add the URL in links of another articles' content:
<a href="https://help.company.com/article/123-article-title#part_one">Link to part one</a> <a href="https://help.company.com/article/123-article-title#part_two">Link to part two</a>
If you have any further questions, please start a Live Chat. Just "Click" on the Chat Icon in the lower right corner to talk with our support team.