Install Gist on your WordPress site
updated over 1 year ago
NOTE: This guide is specific to installing Gist on your WordPress site. If your website is built on other platforms, we recommend checking the specific installation guide for step-by-step instructions.
The Gist All-In-One Marketing - Live Chat, Popups, Email WordPress plugin allows you to easily connect your WordPress site and Gist workspace. With the plugin, the Gist tracking code is automatically added to your WordPress pages, and can start talking to your website visitors and customers.
To install and use the plugin, your account must meet the following requirements:
- You must be a WordPress admin to install plugins for your site.
- Your WordPress version must be 4.0 or higher. This is also stated in the plugin page's right sidebar next to WordPress Version.
- Your PHP version must be 5.6 or higher. This is also stated in the plugin page's right sidebar next to WordPress Version.
- The wp_head function must be included in your WordPress theme’s header file (header.php). This function is required for the tracking code to be installed on every page of your site.
To watch an overview of this process, check out the video below:
Step 1: Install the plugin
You can add the plugin directly from your WordPress account following the instructions below, or download the plugin as a .zip file and upload it to your account.
- Log in to your WordPress website admin dashboard.
- In the left sidebar menu, navigate to Plugins > Add New.
- Search for the Gist Live Chat plugin.
- In the upper right, click Install Now.
- Click Activate Plugin.
- In the left sidebar menu, navigate to Settings > Gist.
Step 2: Copy your Gist workspace ID
Once you install and activate the Gist WordPress plugin, sign in to your Gist account.
- From the main menu, navigate to your workspace Settings.
- Navigate to General > Tracking Code.
- Copy your Workspace ID.
You can also access your Workspace ID in the URL itself. If you look at the alphanumeric code after 'https://app.getgist.com/projects/', that is your Workspace ID.
Step 3: Paste your Workspace ID in your Gist plugin settings
Back inside your WordPress admin dashboard, navigate to Settings > Gist and paste in the Workspace ID you copied from above and click Save changes. This will allow the plugin to access Gist securely.
There are a few other options for you to control the behavior of the plugin.
- If you want to track all pages on your site, then check the Enable Tracker box.
- If you want to disable chat for WordPress admin users, then check the Disable chat for WordPress admin users box.
- If you are using a WordPress membership plugin such as MemberPress, and wish to create your registered WordPress users as Contacts within Gist, then check the Identify logged-in users box.
That's it. You have successfully installed the Gist tracking code and you'd be able to chat with your leads and users on your WordPress site.
Note: If you have the "Disable chat for WordPress admin users' box checked on your plugin settings, you'll need to log out of your WordPress site before you can see the Gist Messenger. Alternatively, accessing your site from an incognito window works too.
How to verify if the tracking code is successfully installed?
Once the plugin is installed, the Gist Messenger will show at the bottom right corner of your website by default.
For some reason, after following the above steps, you do not see the Gist Messenger on your site, check out our installation troubleshooting guide.
If you have any further questions, please start a Live Chat. Just "Click" on the Chat Icon in the lower right corner to talk with our support team.